“Stars are the streetlights of eternity”
Stargazing, what a joy! Laying down in silence and watching the stars shine bright like diamonds in the sky above you is an experience that every person treasures and finds memorable. What makes stargazing a special and magical experience is how it makes you feel that you’re in a soulful silent conversation with the entire cosmos in that moment of finding a companion in the stars. Stargazing is also a fantastic way to bond with the nature and appreciate the grand yet simple pleasures of life.
In today’s technology driven era, the pollution in the big cities has significantly decreased the prospects of stargazing. You’ll find N number of places around the world for decent stargazing, but it’s a fact that this activity can only be done in really dark places and there are very few that can compare to the exceptional feeling of stargazing in Vietnam. Vietnam is truly a blessed land, being home to some of nature’s most beautiful creations; towering mountains, serene valleys, ebullient rivers, fantastic beaches, exhilarating tropical forests, gorgeously cascading waterfalls, seemingly supernatural caves and so much more! Such environments serve as some of the best stargazing sites in the whole world and Vietnam never fails to impress.
In this short article, we’ll tell you about the top 7 stargazing sites in Vietnam for your dreamy nights. Let’s begin!
01 Hoang Lien Son Mountain Range, North West Vietnam
02 Dong Cao, Bac Giang Province
03 Ha Long Bay, Quang Ninh Province
04 Phong Nha, Quang Binh Province
Son Doong Cave, Phong Nha – Ke Bang National Park
Talking about the best stargazing sites in Vietnam, the Son Doong cave hidden away in the depths of the Phong Nha – Ke Bang National Park, which is one of the best places in Vietnam, deserves the top spot without a speck of hesitation. The Son Doong cave is the largest cave on Earth and when you join the adventure of a lifetime – the Son Doong Expedition of 4 days and 3 nights; you have the opportunity to camp inside two mammoth caves; The Son Doong cave and the Hang En cave – third largest cave in the world.
While spending your nights at these spectacular underground campsites, you’ll be able to enjoy a unique stargazing experience through the large openings of the caves. After long days of trekking and cave exploration, unwinding at the spectacular campsites, stargazing through the biggest caves on the planet is a once in a lifetime experience and is another aspect that makes the Son Doong Expedition a bucket list adventure. This is undoubtedly the best stargazing site in Vietnam.
Hang En Cave, Phong Nha – Ke Bang National Park
One of the top stargazing sites in Phong Nha, Quang Binh province goes to the enchanting giant – the Hang En cave. As mentioned earlier, the Hang En cave is the third largest cave in the world and is known to leave a permanent mark of appreciation among visitors for its terrific campsite deep in Phong Nha – Ke Bang National Park. On the Hang En Cave Adventure of 2 days and 1 night, the campsite that you’ll be spending your night at, lies inside this humongous cave on sandy banks facing a natural blue pool of refreshing water.
During the night, the large opening of the Hang En cave that allows sunlight to make its way into the cave acts perfectly like a giant open window through which you can enjoy stargazing like never before. Imagine laying on a sandy beach inside the third largest cave of the world, cool breeze in your hair and an unmatchable sense of euphoria as you watch the constellations in the sky come to life miraculously.
05 Bana Hills, Da Nang City
06 Six Senses Con Dao, Ba Ria – Vung Tau Province
07 Mui Yen Cape, Binh Thuan Province
We hope you visit these amazing stargazing sites in Vietnam soon, click some brilliant photographs and share your experience with us. Happy stargazing!
Oxalis Adventure Tours
ONE DAY TOURS
If you are seeking a taste of the caves and really don’t have enough time then we recommend a one-day cave and jungle trek. We currently have three tour options for you to select, each with a slightly different style and suitability.
• Phong Nha National Park 1-Day: Our family adventure in the Phong Nha offers a great taste of untouched jungle and impressive wild caves. It is the easiest level of adventure but there is still 5km of trekking and 2km of caving, and optional swimming during warmer weather into one cave. It’s suitable for kids from 12 and above with good fitness, and so this makes for a great day for everyone! It costs VND 1,650,000 per person (USD 72).
• Tu Lan Experience – 1 Day: This is one of our original one-day tours and still one of the best adventures in Vietnam. This one-day tour includes rock scrambling, 50m swimming through a wild river-cave, and up to 9 km of trekking through the lush jungles. You will also strap yourself in for a 15m descent down a ladder. It costs VND 1,800,000 (USD 78) per person.
• Hang Tien Discovery – 1 Day: This one-day tour is perfect for trekking enthusiasts eager to see the largest cave of Tu Lan but without time for the two-day experience. Hang Tien is a dry cave so no swimming required, but still includes up to 4km of trekking through mostly flat jungle and about 500m exploring this incredible cave that will no doubt impress with its grandeur. It costs VND 2,000,000 per person (USD 87).
TWO DAY TOURS
Our most popular cave adventures start from two-days providing an immersive jungle and caving adventure, each targeting a slightly different kind of adventure-seeker, or perfect for those who want to combine a couple of tours to see different caves and areas on one trip to Phong Nha.
• Tu Lan Cave Encounter – 2 Days: Our most popular tour exploring the famous jungle area of Tu Lan. On this overnight camping excursion, you will trek through a number of different dry caves, swim up to 500m through a couple of river caves, witness outstanding cascading waterfalls underground as featured in National Geographic, and spend the night at our jungle camp beside a gorgeous waterfall. It includes 12km of trekking and 3km of caving in total and is for those with a good adventurous spirit. It costs VND 5,500,000 per person (USD 239).
• Hang En Cave Adventure – 2 Days: For two days, this is our best-value-for-money tour that includes one of the most jaw-dropping natural landscapes you will see in this lifetime. This cave is considered the second largest cave in Vietnam and third largest in the World, and it also makes up one night of the original five-day Son Doong Cave Expedition being so close to the largest cave in the world. It includes visiting Ban Doong Ethnic Village, located in the jungle, and a magnificent campsite on a sandy beach inside the cave. It includes 22km of jungle trekking at times quite rocky, multiple knee-deep river crossings, and elevation change of 400m (the ‘hill’ you won’t forget), and 4km of caving. This is a level 3 adventure on a scale of 1 to 6. It costs VND 7,600,000 per person (USD 330).
• Hang Tien Endeavor – 2 Days: A two-day trek into the jungle to see the largest dry cave of the Tu Lan area, exploring 5.5km of this truly stunning cave, with a variety of karst formations. This 13km trek is suitable for those not too keen on cave swimming or too many hills, but still up for an adventure. This is a level 4 adventure between 1 and 6, with 6 being the most challenging. It costs VND 6,500,000 per person (USD 283).
• Hang Va Expedition – 2 Days: A technically challenging, but equally rewarding two-day caving adventure in the heart of Phong Nha National Park. This tour takes you deep into the jungle to one of the most spectacular river-caves, with formations not seen anywhere else in the world! It involves rock scrambling, wading through an underground river, bouldering and rope-traversing within the cave, to reach the rarest tower cone formations. This involves quite a lot of technical work due to safety, but is not overly difficult, it includes 10km of trekking and 3 km of caving. This is a level 4 adventure, with 6 being the highest. It costs VND 8,000,000 per person (USD 348).
Now, if you really want to increase the adventure and soak up the wild jungle of Vietnam, with plenty of time to relax and enjoy the area, we highly recommend a three-day caving tour of our Tu Lan or Hang Tien.
• Wild Tu Lan Cave Explorer – 3 Days: This tour incorporates the very best of Tu Lan with two different jungle campsites besides stunning waterfalls, 3km of cave exploring through a number of caves, 1km of cave swimming and visiting some additional areas not included on our shorter experiences. Our three-day tour is very popular and tends to be booked out so get in quick to enjoy this thrilling jungle adventure. It includes 17 km of jungle trekking and with quite a bit of swimming you will need to have a good level of fitness. It is not for the faint-hearted, but still only considered level 3 adventure level compared to level 4 of the Hang Tien 3-day tour. It costs VND 8,000,000 per person (USD 348).
• Hang Tien Exploration – 3 Days: This three-day tour stands out for combining a taste of Tu Lan with some river cave swimming, before crossing a mountain range to reach the valley for Hang Tien – the most astounding dry caves in the region, where you will enjoy trekking, bouldering over various rocky terrains to witnessing breathtaking patterned calcite walls & ceilings of Hang Tien. It’s challenging and definitely more suited to adventure enthusiasts who have trekking experience and prefer more challenging routes. It includes a total of 22km of trekking, 6.5 km of caving and an elevation change of 150m over one particular hillside. You will get wet, you will be challenged, but you will not be disappointed. Hang Tien is located adjacent to the Tu Lan area so you will enjoy the best of both worlds – a level 4 adventure out of 6 adventure levels. It costs VND 8,500,000 per person (USD 370).
FOUR & FIVE-DAY TOURS
For those looking for the ultimate adventure experience in Vietnam, and thriving for the real grand expedition of the world, you should opt for these 4-day journeys to explore the entire cave system of Tu Lan and the largest cave on Earth
• Tu Lan Expedition – 4 Days: You will also explore all of the extraordinary caves in Tu Lan, including Kim Cave and Secret Cave that boasts phenomenal natural falls and karst formations inside these two unbelievable river caves. Complete a trek through Hang Tien Cave – famed for its vastness and magnificent formations. Our secluded jungle campsites are spectacular and mostly different from those visited on our shorter treks in the same region. This is a perfect alternative expedition for those who are unable to do Son Doong Expedition, still it’s challenging and not recommended for those without experience. It includes an additional night at Chay Lap Farmstay before the tour to ensure you are well rested and ready to depart early the following day. Level 5 on our 6 adventure levels. It includes 30km of jungle trekking, 5 km of caving, about 800m swimming through caves and one abseil in a cave in the pitch black – highly adventurous! It costs VND 15,000,000 per person (USD 652).
• Son Doong Expedition – 4 Days: By now you would have seen some pictures of Son Doong Cave, and even they don’t do it justice. The record-breaking Son Doong Cave is hands-down one of the most stunning places on this planet Earth. The expedition is tough, but not too difficult so long as you have a strong resolve to achieve. It is surely one of the newest wonders of the world. Son Doong is not just another cave tour – it is life-changing to say the least. It includes 25km of trekking, 9 km caving including rope climbs, and the 90m ascent of the Great Wall of Vietnam using a ladder, elevation change of 400m and many river crossings inside and outside the cave. Level 6 on our adventure levels. It costs VND 69,800,000 per person (USD 3000).
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS? Visit our FAQs section where we have a lot of answers for your questions and concerns. https://oxalis.com.vn/faq-general/
WANT TO SEE VIDEOS OF OUR TOURS? Visit our youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/OxalisAdventurTours
WANT TO CHAT LIVE WITH OUR ADVENTURE CONSULTANT? Please look at the green icon at the right corner on your screen below to talk to our Adventure Consultant.