The perfect journey to explore both most fascinating wet caves and dry caves, especially Hang Tien 1 and Hang Tien 2. They are the biggest dry caves of the system with enormous entrances, large calcite formations and unusual rock features. This is your chance to experience the pristine jungle, rocky terrains, rivers, and the most beautiful campsites.
- Astounding wet & dry caves
- Biggest dry caves of the system
- Jungle trekking, river crossings.
- Traversing rocky terrains.
- Two beautiful campsites
- Amazing food
BRIEFING: PHONG NHA - TAN HOA - OXALIS OFFICE
Duration: 3 day tour
Availability: Mid-Nov to mid-Sep Every Tue & Sat
Difficulty: Level 4 - Challenging
Group size: 2-10 people; 16+ years old
Distance: 18km trekking; 3.5km caving; 800m elevation gain; 10m ladder climb
Phong Nha - Tan Hoa - Safety BriefingYou will be picked up from your hotel between 7.30 and 8 AM, for the an hour drive to Oxalis office in Tan Hoa, located 70 km from Phong Nha. Here you will have a tour briefing and prepare for the tour.
PHONG NHA – TAN HOA – SECRET CAVE – HUNG TON CAVE – LA KEN CAMPSITE
The trek starts with a flat path past peanut field and grazing buffalo and cows.
A river crossing leads to a short but steep and rocky uphill section. At the top you will enter Secret Cave, a short but very well decorated cave. Pass though the narrow passage to the exit and descend to the next valley Cross the valley on a flat path to enjoy a picnic lunch in the entrance of Hung Ton Cave. Continue through Hung Ton Cave to a 10m ladder descended with a safety line. Reach the underground river and swim out of the exit to To Mo Valley. Enjoy a swim in the lake before heading up out of the valley. Another steep hill follows before you descend to La Ken Valley and your campsite.
LA KEN VALLEY – HUNG NHAI – TIEN CAMPSITE
The second day is a long trekking day over hills and through beautiful valleys and jungle.
You will cover a total of 8 kilometres and around 350m of ascent. From camp you head uphill and trek through the jungle to Hung Nhai, a pleasant and mainly flat scenic valley. Lunch will be next to the river, before the last big hill of the day. Ascend and descend around 200m to arrive at a different river valley. A short trek upstream leads you to your camp site and welcome blue lagoon. Here the underground river wells up providing a cool natural swimming pool. Relax and enjoy this after your long hike.
TIEN CAMPSITE – HANG TIEN 1 – HANG TIEN 2 – DONG DAU MOUNTAIN – TAN HOA – PHONG NHA
In the morning the trail is a large jumble of rocks to pick your way over, with the help and direction of the guide and safety team.
As you enter the cave you will appreciate the full size of the passage. Plants and algae cover many of the calcite formations. Further into the cave you will see splendid cave features such as a ceiling dome, and multiple layers of rock, giving the walls a stripy appearance. A 10m ladder will be climbed up with a safety rope, and a short distance later you will see the end of the cave, an opening into the jungle. Continue into the jungle valley and trek for around 30 minutes to the second cave. A small opening with swirling stripy patterns on the walls drops into a much larger passage filled with calcite formations. Retrace the journey back to the entrance, across the jungle through the first cave down the rocky valley and enjoy a picnic lunch. Refreshed, it’s then time for the big hill back up and down to the road for the pickup and return to the office for a welcome shower. Transfer to Phong Nha arriving around 6pm
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I am a solo traveler, can I join a group?
Solo travelers are most welcome and make up a large percentage of most groups.
Why do I have to sign your Release Form?
We require customers to sign our Release Form to confirm they accept this is an adventure tour and they have to follow our guide’s instructions and safety rules. Customers also accept they have some responsibilities for their own safety.
Which months of the year do you run this tour, and which are the best months to go?
You can book the tour which departs from February to August. That is also the best time to join in the discovery and enjoy it at its best.
WE WILL PROVIDE
- Camping gear: tent, camp light, sleeping bag, mattresses, pillow
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, gloves
- Light PVC backpack (if you do not want to take your own, as it will get wet)
- Dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics)
- Meals: picnic lunches, dinner (day 1 & 2), breakfast (day 2 & 3)
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 – 46
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Porter team to carry all camping gear and prepare all meals
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Water purifier (used only by guide and porters) and water bottle
- Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only)
- Secure Storage Facility at Oxalis Headquarters to store all luggage you will not be taking on the trek
YOU WILL NEED TO BRING
- 2 long (easy to dry) pants and 2 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1-2 pair of short and t-shirt to wear at campsite and swim suit
- 1 pair of good-gripping and non-waterproof trekking boots/shoes (if you prefer your own comfortable pair)
- 1 pair of flip flop (sandals) for campsite
- 1 medium size towel
- 2-3 pairs of calf length densely woven socks (not ankle socks!)
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwears, toiletries
- This tour is operated from mid-Nov to mid-Sep (closed from Oct to mid-Nov).
- The days in bold are still available.