This exciting journey has some challenging sections, but with the help of the team you will explore six amazing caves. River caves where you can swim or raft and dry caves covered in outstanding calcite formations. With a mixture of jungle, caves and beautiful campsites, you will experience a whole new world.
- Jungle trekking and caving
- Underground swimming
- The only tour to Song Oxalis cave
- Spectacular formations.
- Beautiful jungle campsites
- Excellent food
BRIEFING: PHONG NHA - TAN HOA - OXALIS OFFICE
Duration: 3 day tour
Availability: Mid-Nov to mid-Sep Every Mon, Wed & Fri
Difficulty: Level 3 - Moderate
Group size: 2-10 people; 16+ years old
Distance: 11km trekking; 3km caving; 1km swimming; 450m elevation gain; 10m ladder climb
Phong Nha - Tan Hoa - Safety BriefingYou will be picked up from your hotel between 7.30 and 8 AM, for the an hour drive to Oxalis office in Tan Hoa, located 70 km from Phong Nha. Here you will have a tour briefing and prepare for the tour.
PHONG NHA - TAN HOA - RAT CAVE - TU LAN
The trek starts with a flat path past peanut field and grazing buffalo and cows.
A river crossing leads to a short but steep and rocky uphill section, followed by a corresponding downhill into the next valley. Cross the valley on a flat path to enjoy a picnic lunch in the entrance of Hung Ton Cave. More hills and jungle trekking before you drop down to Tu Lan Valley and your camp for the night. Finish off the day with a swim into Ken Cave. Dinner is prepared and served by the porter team. After dinner enjoy chatting or card games before sleeping in your comfortable tent. Composting toilets are provided at camp.
KEN CAVE – TU LAN – HANG KIM – TO MO
The following day you will trek and explore three caves; Dry Ken Cave, Tu Lan Cave and Kim Cave.
From the campsite trek uphill to the dry cave above Ken Cave. This is a very beautiful cave with many calcite formations. Return to camp for lunch. After lunch swim into the wet entrance of Tu Lan Cave, a short climb up leads you into the dry passage and exit. Trek around the valley to Kim Cave. Enter the small entrance via a short climb, and follow the dry passage to meet the underground river. A series of short swims and waterfalls brings you to the beautiful To Mo Valley and your camp for the second night.
TO MO - SONG OXALIS CAVE - HUNG TON - TAN HOA - PHONG NHA
After breakfast a challenging steep hill will lead you to Hang Song Oxalis.
This cave has an amazing display of cave coral. Take your time and appreciate this cave. Descend the steep hill for snacks and tea or coffee. Cross To Mo Valley to enter Hung Ton Cave next to the small waterfall. Swim along to the dry passage, where you will climb a metal ladder with the extra protection of a safety line. Follow the dry passage to the exit. From here the route follows the same way as the first morning; cross the flat valley, climb a short hill, cross the river and buffalo fields to the office. Back at the office enjoy a welcome shower and a tasty lunch before departing. Transfer to Phong Nha arriving around 5.30 PM
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I am a solo traveler, can I join a group?
Solo travelers are most welcome and make up a large percentage of most groups.
Why do I have to sign your Release Form?
We require customers to sign our Release Form to confirm they accept this is an adventure tour and they have to follow our guide’s instructions and safety rules. Customers also accept they have some responsibilities for their own safety.
Which months of the year do you run this tour, and which are the best months to go?
You can book the tour which departs from February to August. That is also the best time to join in the discovery and enjoy it at its best.
WE WILL PROVIDE
- Camping gear: tent, camp light, sleeping bag, mattresses, pillow
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, gloves
- Light PVC backpack (if you do not want to take your own, as it will get wet)
- Semi dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics) for inside your backpack
- Meals: Picnic lunch (Day 1 & 2 & 3), Breakfast (Day 2 & 3), Dinner (Day 1 & 2)
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 – 46
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Porter team to carry all camping gear and prepare all meals
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Water filter and purifier (used only by guide and porters)
- Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only)
- Secure Storage Facility at Oxalis Headquarters to store all luggage you will not be taking on the trek
YOU WILL NEED TO BRING
- 2 long (easy to dry) pants and 2 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1-2 pair of short and t-shirt to wear at campsite and swim suit
- 1 pair of good-gripping and non-waterproof trekking boots/shoes (if you prefer your own comfortable pair)
- 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes – difficult terrain, good footwear necessary
- 1 pair of flip flop (sandals) for campsite
- 1 medium size towel
- 2-3 pairs of calf length densely woven socks (not ankle socks!)
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwears, toiletries
- This tour is operated from mid-Nov to mid-Sep (closed from mid-Sep to mid-Nov).
- The days in bold are still available