This tour offers a glimpse into the amazing beauty of the Tu Lan area: caves, karst mountains, jungle, and waterfalls. It is an opportunity to escape civilization and go deep into the rugged and untouched nature of Vietnam. Enjoy swimming in and out of these beautiful river caves. Enjoy a peaceful night at the camp, next to a waterfall and blue lagoon.
- Amazing scenery
- Jungle trekking
- Dry & wet caves
- Beautiful jungle campsite
- Underground swimming.
- Excellent food
BRIEFING: TAN HOA
Duration: 2 day tour
Availability: Mid-Nov to mid-Sep; Every Tue, Thu & Sat
Difficulty: Level 2 · Moderate
Group size: Max 10 people; 16+ years old
Distance: 10km trekking; 2km caving; 1km underground swim; 300m elevation gain; 10m ladder climb
Phong Nha - Tan Hoa - Safety BriefingYou will be picked up from your hotel in Phong Nha between 07:30 - 08:00 AM, for a 1 hour drive to Oxalis office in Tan Hoa, located 70 km from Phong Nha. Here you will have a tour briefing and prepare for the tour.
DAY1: TU LAN CAMPSITE
The trek starts with a flat path past peanut field and grazing buffalo and cows. A river crossing leads to a short but steep and rocky uphill section, followed by a corresponding downhill into the next valley. Cross the valley on a flat path to enjoy a picnic lunch in the entrance of Hung Ton Cave. More hills and jungle trekking before you drop down to Tu Lan Valley and your camp for the night.
Finish off the day with a swim into Ken Cave. Dinner is prepared and served by the porter team. After dinner enjoy chatting or card games before sleeping in your comfortable tent. Composting toilets are provided at camp.
DAY 2: TU LAN - HANG KIM - HUNG TON
The following day you will trek and swim through three caves, Tu Lan Cave, Kim Cave and Hung Ton Cave. In Hung Ton Cave you will climb a metal ladder with the extra protection of a safety line. Beautiful views from the entrances into the jungle; refreshing swims, dry passages and amazing formations will give you many opportunities for photos. After the third cave the return is by the same as the first morning. Snacks will be provided on the way and lunch in the village after a welcome shower.
Transfer to Phong Nha arriving around 6pm
Adventure Level 2 · Moderate
- 1 or 2 day tour
- Easy to moderate trekking
- 5-12km of trekking including up to 3km of caving
- Total elevation gain: 150m for 1 day and 250m for 2 days
- Swimming in caves (50-150m length)
- River crossings
- 10m ladder climb with safety rope
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I am a solo traveler, can I join a group?
Solo travelers are most welcome and make up a large percentage of most groups.
Why do I have to sign your Release Form?
We require customers to sign our Release Form to confirm they accept this is an adventure tour and they have to follow our guide’s instructions and safety rules. Customers also accept they have some responsibilities for their own safety.
Can I change clothes after swimming part?
No, you cannot change during the trip. There is a lot of swimming combined with trekking and we don’t have enough time to change to dry clothes during the trek. When you reach the campsite, you can change and enjoy some warm drinks.
WE WILL PROVIDE
- Camping gear: tent, camp light, sleeping bag, mattresses, pillow
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, life jacket, gloves
- Light PVC backpack (if you do not want to take your own, as it will get wet)
- Semi dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics) for inside the (light PVC) backpack
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 – 46
- Meals: picnic lunches (day 1, day 2), breakfast (day 2), dinner (day 1)
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Porter team to carry all camping gear and prepare all meals
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Water filter and purifier (used only by guide and porters)
- Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only
- Secure Storage Facility at Oxalis Headquarters to store all luggage you will not be taking on the trek.
YOU WILL NEED TO BRING
- 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1 pair of shorts and t-shirt to wear at campsite plus your swim suit.
- 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes – difficult terrain, good footwear necessary. Gore-Tex/waterproof boots are NOT recommended as they do not drain well (if you prefer your own comfortable pair)
- 1 pair of flip flop (sandals) for campsite
- 1 medium size towel
- 2-3 pairs of calf length densely woven socks (not ankle socks!)
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwear, toiletries
- This tour is operated from mid-Nov to mid-Sep (closed from mid-Sep to mid-Nov).
- The days in bold are still available
Whether you prefer long treks, camping in a cave, sleeping under the stars in the jungle, swimming underground in river caves, explore the huge dry caves or just taking an exploratory day trip, Oxalis Adventure Tours can provide the right amount of adventure just for you.