An action-packed day trek to explore the marvelous jungle and caves of the Tu Lan System - home of the Hollywood blockbuster Kong: Skull Island (2017) by Jordan Vogt-Roberts who once said: “The world will pay attention because they will see how beautiful this place is; they will travel, discover and fall in love with it the way I did”.
- Easy day tour
- Amazing scenery
- Dry & wet caves
- Spectacular formation
- Underground swimming
- Picnic lunch by the waterfall
BRIEFING: TAN HOA
Duration: 1 day tour
Availability: Mid-Nov to mid-Sep; Daily except Thursday
Difficulty: Level 2 · Moderate
Group size: Max 12 people; 16+ years old
Distance: 7km trekking; 500m caving; 300m underground swim; 150m elevation gain; 10m ladder climb
Tour type: Join-in; Private
Phong Nha - Tan Hoa - Safety BriefingYou will be picked up from your hotel between 7.30 and 8am, for the drive to Oxalis office in Tan Hoa, located 70 km from Phong Nha. Here you will have a tour briefing and prepare for the tour.
MORNING: SECRET & HUNG TON CAVE
The trek starts with a flat path past peanut field and grazing buffalo and cows. A river crossing leads to a short but steep and rocky uphill section. Here you will turn to the right to visit Secret Cave, a small but extremely well decorated cave. From the exit, drop downhill into the next valley. Cross the valley on a flat path to reach the entrance of Hung Ton Cave. Pass through the dry passage to the 10m ladder, which you will climb down with an additional safety rope attached to you. At the bottom of the climb you will don a lifejacket ready for the swim out of Ton Cave Exit.
AFTERNOON: TO MO VALLEY
The Cave exits into beautiful jungle valley where you will have lunch, and lots of time to swim. After lunch the trek passes over a short but steep hill, to re-cross the flat valley. Up and over a short hill leads you back to the river crossing. Back over the buffalo fields to the office where a cold drink awaits you.
Transfer to Phong Nha arriving around 6pm
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I am a solo traveler, can I join a group?
Solo travelers are most welcome and make up a large percentage of most groups.
Why do I have to sign your Release Form?
We require customers to sign our Release Form to confirm they accept this is an adventure tour and they have to follow our guide’s instructions and safety rules. Customers also accept they have some responsibilities for their own safety.
Which months of the year do you run this tour, and which are the best months to go?
You can book the tour which departs from February to August. That is also the best time to join in the discovery and enjoy it at its best.
WE WILL PROVIDE
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, life jacket, gloves
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 – 46
- Meals: picnic lunch (day 1)
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Porter to prepare meals and pump water
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Water filter and purifier (used only by guide and porters)
- Eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat at lunch site.
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only)
- Secure Storage Facility at Oxalis Headquarters to store all luggage you will not be taking on the trek
YOU WILL NEED TO BRING
- 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes – difficult terrain, good footwear necessary. Gore-Tex/waterproof boots are NOT recommended as they do not drain well (if you prefer your own comfortable pair)
- 1 change of clothes for after the tour
- 1 pair of calf length densely woven socks (not ankle socks!)
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera
- This tour is operated from mid-Nov to mid-Sep (closed from mid-Sep to mid-Nov).
- The days in bold are still available