One of the best camping trekking tours to Hang En - the world’s 3rd largest cave and a must-see natural wonders in Vietnam. Hang En has been featured within National Geographic, The New York Times, Lonely Planet, Good Morning America, Hollywood blockbuster Pan (2015) by Warner Bros Ent and many more.
- The world’s third largest cave
- Campsite in a cave
- Immense cave exit
- Jungle trekking and river crossings
- Amazing food.
BRIEFING: PHONG NHA - OXALIS OFFICE
Duration: 2 day tour
Availability: Mid-Dec to mid-Sep 3-4 tours/week (except for Mid-Dec to late-Jan, tour departs everyday).
Difficulty: Level 3 - Moderate
Group size: 2-16 people; 16+ years old
Distance: 22km trekking; 3km caving; 450m elevation gain
Phong Nha - Safety BriefingOur tour bus will pick you up from your hotel in Phong Nha between 8:00 and 8:30 AM, for the drive to the Oxalis office. Here you will have a tour safety briefing, sign the release form and be provided with the required equipment for the tour.
PHONG NHA - BAN DOONG VILLAGE - HANG EN
The trek starts off with a steep downhill section, leading into the jungle.
A short uphill section follows and then the final long and steep descent (rocky at times) to a small stream. Follow the small stream for half an hour with multiple crossings. Arrive at Ban Doong a small minority village inside the national park. Enjoy a delicious lunch, and learn about the village. A further 20 minutes will bring you to the main river and the Hang En river valley. The route to the cave follows the river, so there are constant river crossings. The valley is very beautiful. Arriving at the cave, you will enter the small river entrance, and climb over a small rocky hill to camp, located in a huge chamber with a large entrance providing daylight and a stunning view. Enjoy a swim in your tent-side pool before a full dinner served by the porter team.
HANG EN - PHONG NHA
The following morning climb the rocky hill behind the camp, and follow the dry passage around to the main river passage.
More river crossings, a small sandy hill, and a higher rocky hill will bring you to the incredible exit of Hang En. Make sure you have plenty of battery power for the many photos you will want to take. Return to camp via the river passage, and enjoy lunch in the cave. Finally say good bye to Hang En and head back up the river valley. Take a different route through the forest back to the road, although the hill up will still be the same!! Around 450m of ascent. Enjoy a cold drink before heading back to Phong Nha. Transfer to Phong Nha arriving around 5pm
Adventure Level 3 · Moderate
- 1 - 3 day tour
- Moderate trekking (very rocky terrain for Tien tours)
- 8-22km of trekking including 3-5km of caving
- Total elevation gain: 350-450m
- Swimming in caves (Wild Tu Lan 50-150m)
- River crossings
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I am a solo traveler, can I join a group?
Solo travelers are most welcome and make up a large percentage of most groups.
Why do I have to sign your Release Form?
We require customers to sign our Release Form to confirm they accept this is an adventure tour and they have to follow our guide’s instructions and safety rules. Customers also accept they have some responsibilities for their own safety.
Do I need to know how to swim to join this tour?
You do not need to know how to swim to join this tour, but you will have river crossings up to your waist so prepared to get your shoes and trousers wet. If you like to swim, you are welcome to splash about in your choice of a large natural pool located next to camp within the cave.
WE WILL PROVIDE
- Camping gear: tent, camp light, sleeping bag, mattresses, pillow
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, gloves
- Dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics)
- Meals: picnic lunches, breakfast (day 2), dinner (day 1)
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 – 46
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Porter team to carry all camping gear and prepare all meals
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Water filter and purifier (used only by guide and porters)
- Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only)
- Secure Storage Facility at Oxalis Headquarters to store any luggage you will not be taking on the trek
YOU WILL NEED TO BRING
- 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1 pair of shorts and t-shirt to wear at campsite plus your swim suit.
- 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes – difficult terrain, good footwear necessary
- 1 pair of flip flop (sandals) for campsite
- 1 sun hat in summer
- 1 medium size towel
- 1 change of clothes for after the tour
- 1 pair of calf-length densely woven socks (not ankle socks!)
- Medium size backpack (25 L) for your water bottle, personal belongings and provided caving helmet
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera
- This tour is operated from Dec to mid-Sept (closed from mid-Sept to Nov).
- The days in bold are still available
Whether you prefer long treks, camping in a cave, sleeping under the stars in the jungle, swimming underground in river caves, explore the huge dry caves or just taking an exploratory day trip, Oxalis Adventure Tours can provide the right amount of adventure just for you.