Founded in Phong Nha, Quang Binh back in 2011, Oxalis Adventures is believed to be the leader of adventure tours in the area and an enthusiastic supporter of the local community. 2016/2017 was a momentous adventure season for Oxalis. Domestic and international tourist arrivals continued their upward trajectory with a total of 10,081 customers; including politicians, VIP, celebrities, filming teams & many more adventurers from Vietnam & world-wide.
- Re-open Tu Lan Adventure tours from the 14th of November
- Oxalis opens bookings for Son Doong Expedition tour
- Oxalis starts operating Photography Adventure Tours including Tu Lan Photography Discovery, Hang Va Photography Challenge & Hang Tien Photography Adventure.
- Oxalis opens bookings for Tu Lan Adventure Race 2017
- Oxalis welcomes the Kong: Skull Island movie director – Jordan Vogt-Roberts to join the Son Doong Expedition.
- Oxalis welcomes Mr. Theodore Osius – The American Ambassador to Vietnam & his friends to join the Son Doong Expedition.
- Oxalis joins the “Quang Binh in the Heart of Hanoi” Exhibition located in Hanoi, Vietnam
- Oxalis hosts the ‘Tu Lan Adventure Race 2017 – and builds 14 floating houses for economically-deprived families in the flood prone area of Tan Hoa commune, Quang Binh province, Vietnam.
- Oxalis supports ‘Immortal Man’ filming production in the Tu Lan Cave System
- Oxalis welcomes Woody – the popular Thai MC & his team to explore Son Doong cave in the Son Doong expedition tour
2016 – 2017 proved to be a successful year for Oxalis despite many challenges & unexpected happenings. According to official Oxalis data collected to September, 2017, the total number of tourist arrivals reached 10,081 customers with international tourists accounting for 85% of the total number while domestic travelers accounted for 15%. This is a growth of 30.4 % from the 2015 – 2016 season.
Compared with the previous season, there is a dramatic increase in the number of adventurers; the strongest growth shown by the Hang Va Expedition with a rise of 79%; Tu Lan adventure tours 43%; Son Doong Expedition 37.3% and Hang En tours with 16.3%.
The distribution of adventurers joining Oxalis tours during the 2016 – 2017 season was highest from the USA (20%) followed by Vietnam (16%), Great Britain (9%), Australia (9%), Germany (7%), Canada (6%) and the remainder (34%) from different countries around the world.
Community involvement is also our passion at Oxalis. A part of the company’s revenue goes back to support the community in Phong Nha & surrounding areas.
Several projects from the 2016 – 2017 season are:
- Built school/water system, provided water storage for Ban Doong minority village families
- Sent relief to residents of Na Village, Phong Nha; Tan Hoa Village, ThuongHoa Village & Lien Trach Village who got hit by a flash flood in October, 2016.
- Repaired the water purifier system in Tan Hoa Village, Minh Hoa, Quang Binh
- Built 14 more floating houses from Tu Lan Adventure Race 2017 Program
- Provided scholarships for local students with total of 198,000,000 VND (nearly US 9,000)
- Created job opportunities for locals.
Oxalis Adventures was established in June 2011 and strives to provide a unique experience for those seeking to explore remote jungle, wild river caves and quench their thirst for adventure whilst in Vietnam.
Our mission is to create a world-class adventure tourism business in Quang Binh, by providing professional services of the highest quality following a strategy of social/cultural sustainability; environmental conservation & economical sustainability
After consideration & discussions on global travel trends & the adventure travel situation in Phong Nha, Oxalis has now defined the following priorities for the business plan in the next season:
- Promoting safe & friendly adventure travel
Oxalis commits to keep on promoting safe & friendly adventure travel with safety as a top priority. It is the way we run our tours, the way our guides/staff are trained and the extent to which we put safety first in all matters.
Guides, safety assistants & porter teams are receiving training every year to be able to handle emergency or unexpected situations. Safety equipment is checked & updated regularly to maintain the highest quality.
- Embracing conservation
Environmental conservation & sustainable environmental practices are visible on any Oxalis tours and we will keep up the good work of protecting the environment, including the caves and surrounding jungle. Everything brought into the jungle is brought out. No permanent infrastructure exists. Tours are closed for several months each year during the flood season due to safety & conservation matters.
- Encouraging local community involvement.
Most people employed by Oxalis are locals from Phong Nha or Tan Hoa village, and at the heart of Oxalis is the desire to provide stable employment for local people. Oxalis commits to creating job opportunities with a stable income & improving local living conditions. .
For next adventure season – 2017/2018, Oxalis team will work harder in order to deliver better journeys with excellent services to excited adventurers from world-wide.
SON DOONG EXPEDITION
Adventurers will have more chances to explore the world’s largest cave – Hang Son Doong in the outstanding journey Son Doong Expedition 4D3N. This incredible expedition to the wild, exploring Son Doong Cave requires more than 25 porters, safety advisors & guides; promises to give become your expedition of a lifetime, to explore the world’s largest cave and exit via the Great Wall of Vietnam.
TU LAN CAVE SYSTEM TOURS
Except for Tu Lan Expedition 4D3N tour will be ready to welcome explorers back by February, 2018; Tu Lan 1-Day Experience, Tu Lan Cave Encounter 2D1N, Wild Tu Lan Cave Explorer 3D2N will all re-open by mid-November, 2017.
Tu Lan Expedition is a more skills-based caving expedition to explore most of the cave in Tu Lan Cave System with the itinerary of 4 days and 3 nights in the jungle plus one more night stay at Chay Lap Farmstay; while other adventures are shorter options just for you to choose and experience. These adventures are excellent idea for ones that love nature with jungle trekking, swimming, river crossings & cave exploring.
HANG VA EXPEDITION
Another expedition that could not be missed next season is Hang Va Expedition. This 2-day-1-night tour will be back from February, 2018 and expected to become the highlight of your adventure life. Hang Va & Hang Nuoc Nut is believed to share the same water flow with Hang Son Doong and owns the world-class beautiful stalagmites & cave formations.
HANG EN CAVE ADVENTURE TOURS
Come to Vietnam by late December, 2017 to explore the world’s third-largest cave – Hang En in Hang En Adventure and examine fascinating 300 million year old fossils in the cave. Cave camping adventure & jungle camping adventure is available for this 2-day-1-night journey.
HANG TIEN ENDEAVOR 2D1N &
HANG TIEN 1-DAY DISCOVERY
Hang Tien is well-known as the largest dry cave in Tu Lan Cave System with two phenomenal options on previous season: Hang Tien Endeavor 2D1N and Hang Tien 1-Day Discovery. These both tours will keep on surprising you with the wonderful experiences. Hang Tien Endeavor is expected to re-open in mid-November and Hang Tien 1-Day Discovery will open in December, 2017.
HANG TIEN EXPLORATION 3D2N
Moreover, for next season 2017/2018; the brand new Hang Tien Exploration will excite you in a totally different way with a longer itinerary of 3 days & 2 nights. The demanding adventure will lead you into the world-class, legendary jungle of the Tu Lan Cave System; traverse the Rao Nan river, featured in the Hollywood blockbuster Kong: Skull Island and explore extraordinary caves, including Hang Tien Cave – famed for its vastness and magnificent formations. This tour is expected to open in November, 2017.
Photo: Ryan Deboodt, Elinna Yao, Jason Speth, Thuan Thang, Thoai Viet Hoang.